Fish tank aquarium lighting is only for our use and pleasure. It is not necessary for the fish to have lighting. They tend to colour up a bit more and it is more aesthetically pleasing for us to have lighting in an aquarium however ambient room lighting would be more than enough for the tropical fish we keep.
So how long should this lighting be on for. I would advise this is down to personal preference and lifestyle. Much of decision could also be down to trial and error and what type of aquarium you have. If it is a planted aquarium then 10-12 hours is advisable however it also depends on the size of tank, quantity of plants and the like as to what the optimum duration of lighting is, not to mention the total amount and wattage of lighting you are using.
I run my lighting on rift valley tanks for 14 hours a day, from 9AM to 11PM, this is due to my lifestyle and when I like to see the lights on in the tank. A major factor in this is that I am actively trying to promote algae growth to ensure the type of fish I keep have plenty of algae to graze on during the day before feeding time in the evening.
Lighting period is an important factor in algae control as we’ve covered in more depth in our article on controlling algae growth in the home aquarium. It would be best to start with a smaller time period and gradually increase it so maybe begin with 8 hours of the lights being on and move it up form here. If you are finding the algae is getting out of control then reduce this slightly until you reach a happy medium.
The most important thing to ensure happens is that you have the lighting on a timer, whether this be through a full on control unit with LED lighting such as the TMC Aquaray lighting controller system or a simple timer switch plug.
In summary, around 10-12 hours is a good period to aim for however individual requirements will affect this and cause it to deviate from this duration slightly.
Invero® 2x Pack of 24 Hour Programmable Plug In Mechanical Timer UK Mains Wall Socket Override Switch Home Security Energy Saving 13AFeatures:
- 13A rating controlling loads up to 3 kW
- Manual override switch
- Turns appliances on and off at required times
- Programmable every 15 minutes
- Energy saving – Complies with BS1363
EXPOWER Timer Plug Socket, Expower Digital Electrical Timer Plug Socket 24 Hours/7 Day Weekly Programmable Light Switch with Anti-Theft Random Option (2 Pack)Features:
- 【Smart Home】Light Timer switch. Make your everyday routines easier and faster by programming on/off timer switch control all electrical devices. Up to 10 different ON/OFF programs in a 7-day period; every program you set repeats once each week. Each event can be set to occur on a specific day, combination of days, or every day.
- 【Save energy】Automatically turns on and off lamps and other electrical devices, and protects your phone from overcharge, save money on electricity and help preserve the life of your devices!
- 【Multi-funtion】This timer plug is perfect for devices that need to be turn on/off periodically. Home lighting, heater, A/C, kitchen appliances, aquariums, Christmas tree and other electrical appliances, fans, Hydroponics, watering, ventilation/temperature control system, farm lighting/kitchen/garden, watering system and so on.
- 【High quality】3-prong, grounded timer outlet is UL listed and thoroughly tested for quality and safety! Our digital timer runs smoothly and silently, quitter than most mechanical water timers!
- 【12 MONTHS GUARANTEE】- We provide a 12 months guarantee to ensure the quality of our product. If you have any problems with the product, please contact us via the customer service email and we will reply to you within one working day.
A Deeper Look In To Loach Fish Species
How Much Salt Should I Add To My Freshwater Aquarium
Everything You Need To Know About Using T5 Lights For Your Aquarium