Undesirable environmental conditions can cause body flukes disease in tropical fish. Such conditions include poor water quality, overcrowding, and/or stress by incompatible species, please check the tropical fish profiles of the fish you are keeping to ensure compatibility. All these possible conditions may be the cause of body flukes and what has led to conditions that can lead to destructive outbreaks. Flukes (flatworms approximately 1 mm long) are often present in aquariums but remain harmless under ideal conditions.
- Scratching against objects by the affected fish
- Layer of mucus covering gills or body
- Gills moving rapidly
- Chewed on or eaten-away gills or fins
- Reddened skin
- Note: Pale fish with drooping fins, rapid respiration and/or hollow bellies indicate more extensive infestation
Isolate the fish and treat with Body Fluke treatment such as Sterazin. Always follow guidelines given on the treatment bottle and isolate the fish before treating.
Avoiding stressful conditions is a key to prevention, but once an outbreak occurs, prompt treatment is critical.
Tropical Fish Site takes no responsibility for diagnosing the exact problem with your tropical fish, this is purely meant as a guide only. Be sure to look at other common tropical fish diseases to ensure you have made the correct diagnosis as there is often crossover between them.
- 250ml (5 day course for 500 litres)
- Suitable for seawater, tropical freshwater and coldwater aquaria.
- STERAZIN will also aid the control of internal parasites such as Round Worm, Thread Worm, and Intestinal Worm.
- It may also be used to aid the sterilisation of aquatic plants and is highly biodegradable.
- Contains one (1) API Freshwater master kit 800, including 7 bottles of testing solutions, 1 colour card and 4 glass tubes with cap
- Helps monitor water quality and prevent invisible water problems that can be harmful to fish and cause fish loss
- Accurately monitors five most vital water parameters levels in freshwater aquariums: pH, High Range PH, Ammonia, Nitrite and Nitrate
- Designed for use in freshwater aquariums only
- Use for weekly monitoring and when water or fish problems appear