Common name: Vampire Plecostomus, Galaxy pleco, Tusken pleco, L029
Scientific name: Leporacanthicus Galaxias
Average Adult Fish Size: 10 inches / 25 cm
Place of Origin: Brazil, South America
Typical Tank setup: S. American riverine biotope with rocks, caves, bogwood/driftwood and a medium to strong current.
Recommended Minimum Aquarium Capacity: 50 gallon / 200 litre
Compatibility: Relatively peaceful. If keeping with other catfish/plecostomus provide numerous hiding places along with wooded areas.
Temperature: 72 – 79 Deg. F / 22 – 26 Deg. C
Water chemistry: pH 5.6 – 7.0
Feeding: The Vampire pleco is a carnivore species that needs a meaty diet. A varied diet of chopped market shrimp, brine shrimp (live or frozen), blood worms, pellets, wafers, and flakes should be provided.
Sexing: Venting is the only known way to sex this specie.
Breeding: A breeding colony should be 4 fish or more. They should be housed in a 100 gallon / 400 litre or larger tank with plenty of hiding places and current. Duplicate going from the S. American dry season with older, slower moving water to fresh clean water with current that is at least 2 degrees cooler. This will trigger fully mature fish to breed. They will breed in a cave or upturned flower pot with a powerhead directed at it. Fry hatch in 5-7 days, and after absorbing their yolk sack will eat finely crushed flake food or baby brine shrimp. Even the fry tank should have current. Water quality should be kept optimal by frequent partial water changes.
Additional Information: As with all plecostomus type fish, use a soft, fine mesh net to catch them. Their numerous spines and sharp fins will get stuck in an ordinary coarse net. They come from rapidly and highly oxygenated rivers in the wild. Current and proper water management is the key to success with this specie.
- Leopard Pleco – Glyptoperichthys Gibbiceps, L083, L165
- Gold Nugget Pleco – Baryancistrus, L018, L081, L085, L177
- Blue Phantom Pleco – Hemiancistrus Specie, L128
- Magnum Pleco – Baryancistrus Specie, L047
- Bristlenose Pleco – Ancistrus Temminckii
- Peppermint Plec – Parancistrus Nudiventris, L031, L176, L300
- Snowball Pleco – Hypancistrus Inspector, L102, L142, L033
- Longfinned Bristlenose Pleco – Ancistrus sp
- Sunshine Pleco – Scobinancistrus Aureatus, L014
- Leopard Frog Pleco – Peckoltia Compta, L134