Common name: Speckled Squeeker, Spotted Squeeker
Scientific name: Synodontis Nigromaculata
Average Adult Fish Size: 13.4 inches / 34 cm
Place of Origin: Congo River Basin, Lake Bangwelo [Bangweolo], Zambia
Typical Tank setup: Rocky African biotope with ledges, caves, roots/bogwood/driftwood along with some open space.
Recommended Minimum Aquarium Capacity: 80 gallon / 320 litre
Compatibility: Relatively peaceful if given enough hiding places. Will fight other synodontis species over hiding places. Will eat small fish. Best if kept with fish that are 3 inches / 7.5 cm or larger.
Temperature: 72 – 79 Deg F / 22 – 26 Deg C
Water chemistry: pH 6.2 – 7.6
Feeding: Omnivorous. Provide a varied diet of catfish tablets, pellets, flakes, frozen and live foods such as brine shrimp. Relished chopped earthworms, market shrimp, and mussels.
Sexing: Venting is the only known way to sex this species.
Additional Information: Prefers some current. Frequent partial water changes are necessary to keep this riverine catfish happy.
- Two Spot Synodontis – Synodontis Nummifer
- Pyjama Catfish – Synodontis Flavitaeniatus
- Barfin Synodontis – Synodontis Ornatipinnis
- Featherfin Synodontis – Synodontis Eupterus
- Synodontis Waterloti
- Ocellated Synodontis – Synodontis Ocellifer
- Synodontis Rebeli
- Lake Malawi Synodontis – Synodontis Njassae
- Eyespot Synodontis – Synodontis Longirostris
- Polka Dot Synodontis – Synodontis Angelicus