Common name: Orange Striped Squeaker, Pyjama Catfish, Pyjama Synodontis
Scientific name: Synodontis Flavitaeniatus
Average Adult Fish Size: 6 inches / 15 cm
Place of Origin: Eala, Zaire
Typical Tank setup: Rocky African biotope with roots/bogwood/driftwood and plants.
Recommended Minimum Aquarium Capacity: 30 gallon / 120 litre
Compatibility: Peaceful, but will fight to defend its favorite hiding place. If keeping with other synodontis, catfish, or plecostomus, offer plenty of hiding places. Will not normally eat small fish. Best if kept with other peaceful fish.
Temperature: 75 – 84 deg F / 24 – 29 Deg C
Water chemistry: pH 6.5 – 8.2
Feeding: Omnivorous. Provide a varied diet of catfish tablets, pellets, flakes, frozen and live foods such as brine shrimp.
Sexing: Females are slightly wider / rounder, but venting is the best way to sex this species.
Breeding: No reports on the breeding of this species in captivity but it has been hormone bred by Slovakian aquarist Petre Posel in 1994.
Additional Information: Does not compete well for food with more aggressive species. Stays rightside up and rarely swims upside down. Water quality must be kept good with frequent partial water changes. Will not up-root live plants.
- Two Spot Synodontis – Synodontis Nummifer
- Spotted Squeeker – Synodontis Nigromaculata
- Ocellated Synodontis – Synodontis Ocellifer
- Barfin Synodontis – Synodontis Ornatipinnis
- Polka Dot Synodontis – Synodontis Angelicus
- Synodontis Brichardi
- Featherfin Synodontis – Synodontis Eupterus
- Synodontis Rebeli
- Lake Malawi Synodontis – Synodontis Njassae
- Clown Catfish – Synodontis Decorus