Common name: Deepwater Hap
Scientific name: Placidochromis Electra
Average Adult Fish Size: 20cm / 8 Inches
Place of Origin: Lake Malawi
Typical Tank setup: Rocky Malawi tank with plenty of open swimming space.
Recommended Minimum Aquarium Capacity: 250 Litres
Compatibility: Combine with other Lake Malawi Hap and Aulonocara species.
Temperature: 23-28 Deg C / 73-82 Deg F
Water chemistry: pH 7.6-8.6
Feeding: Omnivore – Best thrives on specially made African Cichlid pellets or flakes.
Sexing: Males are larger and much more colourful as adults, juvenile fish are difficult to sex.
Breeding: Placidochromis Electra are maternal mouthbrooders like many of the African Cichlids. The male will entice a mate and as the female lays her eggs he will fertilize them. The process continues till all the eggs are fertilized and the female holds them in her mouth for 3-4 weeks during which time she does not eat.
Additional Information: One of the plainer looking of the African Cichlids this Hap is named after the fact that in the wild it is often found in deeper areas of Lake Malawi. Males are still attractive fish, developing blue colouring around the head with black vertical stripes running along the body. These stripes get more faded towards the tail and are at their most intense near the head area. Some males display the blue colouring on the entire body but it fades towards the tail end of the fish. One of the larger Haps available in the hobby but it happens to be mild mannered as far as Cichlids go and should not be housed with more aggressive species such as Mbuna.
- Metriaclima sp. Zebra – Chilumba Maisoni Reef
- Protomelas sp. Steveni Taiwan – Taiwan Reef
- Electric Blue Johannii – Melanochromis Johanni
- Sunshine Peacock – Aulonocara Baenschi
- Elongatus Ornatus – Pseudotropheus Elongatus Ornatus
- Demasoni Cichlid – Pseudotropheus Demasoni
- Yellow Tail Acei – Pseudotropheus Acei
- Auratus – Melanochromis Auratus
- Blue Regal – Aulonocara Stuartgranti Sp. Mbenji
- Haplochromis Venustus – Nimbochromis Venustus