Common name: Giraffe Catfish
Scientific name: Auchenoglanis Occidentalis
Average Adult Fish Size: 36 inches / 91 cm !!
Place of Origin: Congo River basin predominantly, but it is found all over Africa.
Typical Tank setup: Rocky African biotope with a lot of open space.
Recommended Minimum Aquarium Capacity: 180 gallon / 720 litre
Compatibility: A very docile catfish, but it is best kept with fish that it can’t fit in its’ mouth, which are 8 inches / 20 cm or larger if the Giraffe Cat is full size.
Temperature: 75 – 82 Deg F / 24 – 28 Deg C
Water chemistry: pH 6.5 – 7.8
Feeding: A lot! Omnivorous, and will eat anything from flakes, pellets, and frozen foods when smaller to large pellets, earthworms, and chunks of frozen foods or market shrimp when larger.
Sexing: The only way to accurately sex them is by venting.
Breeding: Breeding information is unknown.
Additional Information: They do not grow extremely fast, but can live to be 18 years old and are easily hand tamed. A large aquarium along with adequate filtration and frequent water changes are a must for adults.
- Eyespot Synodontis – Synodontis Longirostris
- Pictus Catfish – Pimelodus Pictus
- Barfin Synodontis – Synodontis Ornatipinnis
- Adonis Pleco – Acanthicus Adonis
- Spotted Squeeker – Synodontis Nigromaculata
- Gladiator Catfish – Oxydoras Niger
- Magnum Pleco – Baryancistrus Specie, L047
- Silver Bala Shark – Balantiocheilus Melanopterus
- Blue Eyed Pleco – Panaque Cochliodon
- Snakeskin Gourami – Trichogaster Pectoralis