Common name: Albino Rainbow Shark, Albino Ruby Shark
Scientific name: Epalzeorhynchos Frenatum, Labeo Frenatus
Average Adult Fish Size: 15 cm / 6 inches
Place of Origin: Thailand
Typical Tank setup: Asian riverine biotope with rocks, plants, bogwood and driftwood with a lot of hiding places.
Recommended Minimum Aquarium Capacity: 40 gallon / 160 litre
Compatibility: They can be relentlessly aggressive to others of their own kind or even members of the same genus. They are also known to dislike Chinese/Siamese Algae Eaters. They are best if kept singly. Offer a lot of hiding places or this fish will be very territorial, and fight over the sole hiding place with other bottom dwelling fish. Young specimens are usually more peaceful than older fishes. They can show aggression towards fish of similar shape and size so they do not make good community fish in all cases.
Temperature: 72 – 79 Deg F / 22 – 26 Deg C
Water chemistry: pH 6.5 – 7.5
Feeding: Omnivorous. Feed a well varied diet of quality flakes, small pellets, frozen brine shrimp, blood worms, brown worms and live brine shrimp. They will also occasionally graze on algae. Blanched zucchini and/or other vegetable matter should also be regularly fed.
Sexing: Males can sometimes be distinguished by a slimmer body and black lines/markings on the anal fin.
Breeding: Breeding has occasionally happened in the aquarium but it is rare due to their aggression towards their own species.
Additional Information: A well covered aquarium is a must as Albino Rainbow Sharks are prone to jumping. Only keep one of these fish per aquarium.
- Rainbow Shark – Epalzeorhynchos Frenatum
- Redtailed Black Shark – Epalzeorhynchos Bicolor
- Peppermint Plec – Parancistrus Nudiventris, L031, L176, L300
- Amiet’s Lyretail – Fundulopanchax Amieti
- Cinnamon Killifish – Aphyosemion Cinnamomeum
- Yellow Acara – Aequidens Metae
- Lyretail Killifish – Aphyosemion Australe
- Plumed Lyretail – Fundulopanchax Filamentosus
- Arnolds Lyretail – Fundulopanchax Arnoldi
- Clown Killifish – Pseudepiplatys Annulatus