As a general rule your tropical fish’ mouths should remain closed except for a few circumstances which are that they are eating, yawning/stretching or recovering after a fight or being chased. Apart from the chasing which does happen depending on the type of fish you keep the others are normal.
If however you find your fish is constantly opening and closing its mouth then you need to address the problem as their mouths should stay closed. The primary cause of a tropical fish appearing to breath a lot is down to there not being enough oxygen in the water, they therefore have to use their mouths to suck in oxygen rather than take it in through their gills. This is far from ideal and although preventative methods can be put in place to overcome this, such as adding powerheads or air stones to create bubbles. Both methods will increase surface water movement which will increase the oxygen in the water however in the interests of there being a power cut this is not necessarily a safe option. We have put together a brief guide on what you could do with your fish tank during a power cut so we won’t touch on that here.
It is especially an issue if your fish are breathing a lot at the top of the surface, again, we have discussed what the cause of this may be in our guide to what to do if all your fish are at the surface of the water. This is an extreme case of lack of oxygen in the water though but the principal is the same. Ultimately your fish tank is overstocked too much if the fish are constantly breathing a lot in the water.
So the best method and way round this is to reduce the number of fish in your aquarium by re-homing to another tank or another enthusiast. Most local fish stores are good enough to take fish back too if you have no other option. We would advise that you check how heavily stocked your tank is initially before purchasing more fish, take a look at our guide on fish tank stocking levels if you are not sure what this is.
You should also check if you have enough surface water movement and if not you should invest in a powerhead to promote this surface water movement.
There is a chance this could be down to swim bladder disease so check out the other symptoms too so you can rule this out.
Most local fish stores are very knowledgeable and if you are unsure then ask before purchasing the fish as it can become costly taking the fish back as you’re unlikely to get your money back! If you are positive and 100% sure that the stocking levels are fine and the tank is well understocked and there is only one fish breathing heavily then observe the fish closer to see if there are any other symptoms such as skin abnormalities or other out of character behaviour and investigate these further.
allpondsolutions Aquarium Marine Wave Maker Fish Tank Powerhead 2000L/H – Powerful Clip on Glass Suction AttachmentFeatures:
- Dual head wave maker with 12000 litres per hour max output
- Supplied with a high-quality clip-action suction cup for easy attachment
- Helps eliminate dead spots in your marine fish tank
- Simulates the Ocean conditions your marine fish require
- Help to enhance the health and growth of your tank inhabitants
API 800 Test Freshwater Aquarium Water Master Test KitFeatures:
- Contains one (1) API Freshwater master kit 800, including 7 bottles of testing solutions, 1 colour card and 4 glass tubes with cap
- Helps monitor water quality and prevent invisible water problems that can be harmful to fish and cause fish loss
- Accurately monitors five most vital water parameters levels in freshwater aquariums: pH, High Range PH, Ammonia, Nitrite and Nitrate
- Designed for use in freshwater aquariums only
- Use for weekly monitoring and when water or fish problems appear
Aquarium Air Pump with Dual Outlet Adjustable Air Valve,3 Watt Ultra Silent Oxygen Pump for 1-120 Gallon, Fish Tank Air Pump with Accessories Air Stones Silicone Tube Check Valves T-branch ConnectorFeatures:
- [FISH TANK OXYGEN AIR PUMP] : The healthy life of fish is inseparable from sufficent oxygen.This 3W air pump in compact size but has a high air output of 2x 2500ML/MIN, fits for 1 to 120gal fish tank, helps to increase the oxygen content in water, creates a oxygen-rich environment for fishes and plants.
- [2 AIR OUTLETS & ADJUSTABLE FLOW RATE] : Equipped with two air outlets, this air pump can run two fish tanks at the same time, or run in two different corner of a large aquarium to offers sufficient oxygen. According to the size of tanks, adjust the flow rate, which help your fish thrive in the oxygen-rich environment.
- [ULTRA QUIET ] : The 4 Non-slip shockproof base can effectively absorb the noise caused by friction.This enclosed air pump offers large air flow while working with a noise level of less than 40dB, leaving a quiet living environment. And put it on a blanket or mouse pad, which able to keep it quieter.
- [SAFE & LONG LASTING] : We using the spherical airstones after testing, and it’s easier to sink into the bottom; Comes with two check values to avoid backflow of water, safer to use; Over-heat and over-load protection ensures the stable performance, also helps to prolong service life.
- [PACKAGE INCLUDES] : 1x aquarium air pump, 2x 3.3ft air hose, 2x air stone, 2x check value, 1x t-branch connector, 1x user manual. Unlike the submersible pumps need to must be placed in water and need to clean,Our air pump is puted outside the tank,very safe and durable.
A Deeper Look In To Loach Fish Species
How Much Salt Should I Add To My Freshwater Aquarium
Everything You Need To Know About Using T5 Lights For Your Aquarium