Common name: Scarlet Plecostomus, L025
Scientific name: Pseudacanthicus Species
Average Adult Fish Size: 18 inches / 45 cm!
Place of Origin: Brazil, South America
Typical Tank setup: Large aquarium with plenty of rocky hiding places along with large pieces of heavy driftwood or bogwood.
Recommended Minimum Aquarium Capacity: 200 gallon / 800 litre
Compatibility: Peaceful if given enough tank space along with hiding places. Will fight to defend it’s favorite hiding place.
Temperature: 76 – 86 Deg F / 25 – 30 Deg C
Water chemistry: pH 6.0 – 7.7
Feeding: Carnivore but not a predator. Favors prawns, cockle and mussel as well as small pieces of fish. Provide some vegetables for a balanced diet. When it gets used to the aquarium it will also eat pellets, sticks, and tablet food. Fresh and/or frozen food is a must to keep this fish happy.
Sexing: The odontal growth on the first pectoral ray of the males is considerably denser than this of the females. As the fish grow the males become longer and more slender by comparison to the shorter and chubbier females.
Breeding: There have been some references to reproduction in aquaria, though not fully documented. The fish is considered to be a cave spawner.
Additional Information: A large, peaceful, and very beautiful fish!
- Peppermint Plec – Parancistrus Nudiventris, L031, L176, L300
- Sunshine Pleco – Scobinancistrus Aureatus, L014
- Green Phantom Pleco – Hemiancistrus Subviridis, L200
- King Tiger Pleco – Hypancistrus Species, L066
- Malawi Eye Biter – Dimidiochromis Compressiceps
- Blue Phantom Pleco – Hemiancistrus Specie, L128
- Candy Striped Pleco – Peckoltia Vittata, L15
- Titanicus Pleco – Pseudacanthicus Species, L273
- Leopard Frog Pleco – Peckoltia Compta, L134
- Christmas Fulu – Xystichromis Phytophagus