Common name: Rusty Cichlid, Lavender Mbuna
Scientific name: Lodotropheus Sprengerae
Average Adult Fish Size: 12cm / 4 Inches
Place of Origin: Lake Malawi
Typical Tank setup: Rocky Malawi tank
Recommended Minimum Aquarium Capacity: 160 Litres
Compatibility: Other Lake Malawi cichlids, preferably mbuna.
Temperature: 23-28 Deg C / 73-82 Deg F
Water chemistry: pH 7.6-8.6
Feeding: Omnivorous – does well with flake or pellet foods designed for african cichlids. Suppliment with fresh green vegetables such as peas, romaine lettuce, spinach or zucchini.
Sexing: Males typically have more egg spots than females.
Breeding: Typical Mbuna mouthbrooder. Keep 1 male for every 3 or 4 females.
Additional Information: This species is not particularly aggressive and may be bullied by more aggressive tankmates. The base colour of this species is brown, but with the right feeding, the adults should develop an attractive purple sheen.
- Electric Blue Johannii – Melanochromis Johanni
- Kadango – Copadichromis Borleyi
- Blue Mbuna – Labeotropheus Fuelleborni
- Red Zebra – Metriaclima Estherae
- Red Top Hongi – Labidochromis Hongi
- Aulonocara Firefish – Aulonocara Sp. Dragons Blood
- Chilumba Peacock – Aulonocara Stuartgranti sp. Chilumba
- Afra – Cynotilapia Afra
- Livingstonii – Nimbochromis Livingstonii
- Auratus – Melanochromis Auratus