Common name: Taiwan Reef Cichlid,
Scientific name: Protomelas sp. Steveni Taiwan
Average Adult Fish Size: 15cm / 6Inches (can grow slightly larger)
Place of Origin: Lake Malawi
Typical Tank setup: Rocky Malawi tank with plenty of open swimming space
Recommended Minimum Aquarium Capacity: 300 Litres
Compatibility: Combine with other Lake Malawi Hap and Aulonocara species.
Temperature: 23-28 Deg C / 73-82 Deg F
Water chemistry: pH 7.6-8.6
Feeding: Omnivore – Best thrives on specially made African Cichlid pellets or flakes.
Sexing: Males are larger and much more colourful as adults, juvenile fish are difficult to sex.
Breeding: Protomelas sp. Steveni Taiwan are maternal mouthbrooders like many of the African Cichlids. The male will entice a mate and as the female lays her eggs he will fertilize them. The process continues till all the eggs are fertilized and the female holds them in her mouth for 3-4 weeks during which time she does not eat.
Additional Information: One of the most sought after and popular fish amongst African Cichlid keepers and for good reason. This fish shows electric blue colouring around the head and in parts across the body and fins with a yellow mid-section and underside. It is best observed if it’s the dominant fish in the tank. Although it is a Hap, it is more similar in appearance to Peacock cichlids with the body being long vertically and not the usual streamlined shape of other Haps such as Sciaenochromis Fryeri. For this fish to thrive a strict water change schedule is recommended as they have been known to be rather sensitive and will not tolerate poor water quality.
- Blue Ahli – Sciaenochromis Ahli
- Metriaclima sp. Zebra – Chilumba Maisoni Reef
- Mixed Malawi Fish Tank Aquarium
- Blue Regal – Aulonocara Stuartgranti Sp. Mbenji
- Electric Blue Jack Dempsey (EBJD) – Nandopsis Octofasciatum
- Aulonocara Red Top – Aulonocara Sp. Lwanda
- Aulonocara Firefish – Aulonocara Sp. Dragons Blood
- Elongatus Ornatus – Pseudotropheus Elongatus Ornatus
- Electric Blue Johannii – Melanochromis Johanni
- Aulonocara Chitande – Aulonocara Sp. Chitande Masinje