Common name: Ocellated Synodontis
Scientific name: Synodontis Ocellifer
Average Adult Fish Size: 8 inches / 20 cm
Place of Origin: West Africa, various river basins from Senegal to Chad (Senegal, Gambia, Volta, Chad, Niger basins)
Typical Tank setup: Rocky African biotope with caves, roots/bogwood/driftwood and plants.
Recommended Minimum Aquarium Capacity: 40 gallon / 160 litre
Compatibility: Peaceful, but will eat small fish. Will hold its own in a mixed African Cichlid aquarium.
Temperature: 73 – 82 Deg F / 23 – 28 Deg C
Water chemistry: pH 6.5 – 8.0
Feeding: Omnivorous. Provide a varied diet of catfish tablets, pellets, flakes, frozen and live foods such as brine shrimp.
Sexing: Females are normally fuller, but there is no accurate way to sex them except by venting.
Breeding: Bred by hormone injection. Natural breeding method unknown.
Additional Information: Provide plenty of rock work and caves for it to hide. A large aquarium is best if there is more than one synodontis species present.
- Two Spot Synodontis – Synodontis Nummifer
- Barfin Synodontis – Synodontis Ornatipinnis
- Synodontis Waterloti
- Synodontis Rebeli
- Spotted Squeeker – Synodontis Nigromaculata
- Marbled Synodontis – Synodontis Schoutedeni
- Pyjama Catfish – Synodontis Flavitaeniatus
- Polka Dot Synodontis – Synodontis Angelicus
- Eyespot Synodontis – Synodontis Longirostris
- Lake Malawi Synodontis – Synodontis Njassae