Common name: Leporinus
Scientific name: Leporinus Fasciatus
Average Adult Fish Size: 12 inches / 30 cm
Place of Origin: Amazon, Venezuela
Typical Tank setup: Amazon biotope with a lot of hiding places which include rocks and bogwood/driftwood. Leporinus eat live plants, so a few live plants won’t do. They do well in planted aquariums, but a lot of plants are necessary to minimize the damage they do to them.
Recommended Minimum Aquarium Capacity: 30 gallon / 120 litre for fish up to 3 inches / 7.5 cm in length and 60 gallon / 240 litre or larger for fully mature fish.
Compatibility: Leporinus can be very aggressive. Best if kept with moderately aggressive to aggressive fish of similar size.
Temperature: 72 – 77 Deg F / 22 – 25 Deg C
Water chemistry: pH 5.5 – 7.5
Feeding: Feed a predominantly vegetarian diet consisting on veggie flakes, pellets, and wafers. Treats of frozen brine shrimp, live brine shrimp, blood worms, and brown worms can be fed on occasion. A well varied diet is best.
Breeding: Specifics are unknown
Additional Information: The aquarium they are housed in must have a tight fitting cover as leporinus are prone to jumping out of even the smallest opening.
- Rainbow Shark – Epalzeorhynchos Frenatum
- Albino Rainbow Shark – Epalzeorhynchos Frenatum
- Synodontis Waterloti
- Long-nosed Distichodus – Distochodus Lusosso
- Jeweled Eartheater – Satanoperca Jurupari
- Silver Bala Shark – Balantiocheilus Melanopterus
- Magnum Pleco – Baryancistrus Specie, L047
- African Arowana – Heterotis Niloticus
- Diamond Tetra – Moenkhausia Pittieri
- Barfin Synodontis – Synodontis Ornatipinnis