Common name: Haplochromis Venustus, Giraffe Cichlid
Scientific name: Nimbochromis Venustus
Average Adult Fish Size: 20cm / 8 Inches
Place of Origin: Lake Malawi
Typical Tank setup: Rocky Malawi tank with plenty of open swimming space
Recommended Minimum Aquarium Capacity: 240 Litres
Compatibility: Combine with other malawi hap species
Temperature: 23-28 Deg C / 73-82 Deg F
Water chemistry: pH 7.6-8.6
Feeding: Insects, flake food, pellets, frsh vegetables such as peas, romaine lettuce and spinach.
Sexing: The males are larger and have a blue head.
Breeding: Venustus are maternal mouth-brooders. Males become very competitve at sexual maturity and will kill other males of their species. A ratio of 1 male to 4 females is ideal.
Additional Information: A large, oval-shaped fish. The coloring of the male is much more intense than the female. The head is pale blue, while the body is light golden-yellow. The cheeks and the lower jaw is dark blue. Several irregular dark blue splotches can be found cover the body. The upper part of the dorsal fin is bright yellow while the lower half is dark blue. The caudal fin is also yellow and blue. The other fins are dark blue.
- Kadango – Copadichromis Borleyi
- Bream – Chilotilapia Rhoadesii
- Zebra Obliquidens – Astatotilapia Latifasciata
- Sunshine Peacock – Aulonocara Baenschi
- Electric Blue Johannii – Melanochromis Johanni
- Red Top Hongi – Labidochromis Hongi
- Tropheus Moorii Ikola – Tropheus sp. Ikola
- Tropheus Moorii Red Rainbow – Tropheus sp. Kasanga
- Tropheus Red Cheek – Tropheus sp. Mpimbwe
- Auratus – Melanochromis Auratus