Common name: Haplochromis Red Pseudonigricans
Scientific name: Lithochromis Rufus
Adult Fish Size: Male: 11 cm / 4 1/2 inches, Female: 8.5 cm / 3-1/2 inches
Place of Origin: Lake Victoria
Typical Tank setup: Rocky Lake Victoria
Recommended Minimum Aquarium Capacity: 40 gallon / 160 litre minimum for one male. An 80 gallon / 320 litre aquarium or larger is best when keeping 2 males and up to 6-8 females.
Compatibility: Males can be extremely aggressive to members of their own species and con-specifics. A lot of rock work is required for the females and sub-dominant males to survive.
Temperature: 24-28 Deg C / 76-82 Deg F
Water chemistry: pH 7.2 – 8.4
Feeding: Omnivore; mix of dry and frozen foods including flake, pellets, and brine shrimp.
Sexing: Males have brighter coloration and are slightly larger.
Breeding: Substrate spawner. Moothbrooder.
Additional Information: Extremely aggressive for their size. Fairly rare in the aquarium hobby.
- Zue Island – Paralabidochromis Chromogynos
- Haplochromis sp. Carp – Mbipia Lutea
- Christmas Fulu – Xystichromis Phytophagus
- Python Island – Pundamilia Nyererei
- Kenya Gold – Haplochromis sp. Kenya Gold
- Fire Red Ugandan – Haplochromis sp. Fire
- Kyoga Flameback – Haplochromis Xystichromis
- Tricolor Fulu – Neochromis Omnicaeruleus
- Zebra Obliquidens – Astatotilapia Latifasciata
- Blue Ahli – Sciaenochromis Ahli