Common Name: Festivum, Flag Cichlid, Barred Cichlid
Scientific Name: Mesonauta Festivus, Cichlasoma Festivum
Average Adult Fish Size: 4 inches / 10cm
Place of Origin: Amazon and Western Guyana
Typical Tank Setup: Well planted with areas of open water.
Recommended Minimum Aquarium Capacity: 100 litres
Compatibility: They are a timid smaller Cichlid which do better in small schools and should be kept with peaceful fish of similar size in a well planted tank.
Temperature: 72 – 82 Deg F / 25 – 34 Deg C
Water Chemistry: pH 6.5 to 7.5
Feeding: They are not fussy eaters and will accept flakes, small pellets, and frozen food and relish live foods of all kinds including brine shrimp, blood and brown worms.
Sexing: The sexes are difficult to tell, some say the males have longer fins. Males are usually more colorful, but not always. Venting is the only sure way to determine gender.
Breeding: They are very selective when choosing a mate and several attempts might be needed before a pair is formed. They are the typical Cichlid substrate breeder which spawns mostly on rocks and sometimes on the glass. Once a pair is formed they will remain faithful for life.
Additional Information: Festivums are shy fish and should be kept in small schools. A well planted tank with good water quality is the key to success with this fish.
- Cockatoo Cichlid – Apistogramma Cacatuoides
- Wolf Cichlid – Parachromis Dovii
- Firemouth – Thorichthys Meeki
- Jack Dempsey – Archocentrus Octofasciatum
- Checkered Barb – Puntius Oligolepis
- Python Island – Pundamilia Nyererei
- Tricolor Fulu – Neochromis Omnicaeruleus
- Red Oscar – Astronotus Ocellatus
- Tropheus Moorii Red Rainbow – Tropheus sp. Kasanga
- Tiger Oscar – Astronotus Ocellatus