Common name: Candy Striped Plecostomus, L15
Scientific name: Peckoltia Vittata
Average Adult Fish Size: 4 inches / 10 cm
Place of Origin: Middle and lower part of the Amazon River in South America
Typical Tank setup: Rio Amazon biotope with plenty of rocks, wood and live plants. This species normally leaves aquarium plants alone, provided of course that you keep it well fed. Always include wood in the setup. They are shy by nature, and mainly nocturnal, so hiding places are mandatory.
Recommended Minimum Aquarium Capacity: 20 gallons / 80 litres
Compatibility: Peaceful and shy, but might fight with other fish over favorite hiding places.
Temperature: 73 – 79 degrees F / 23 – 26 degrees C
Water chemistry: pH 5.6 – 7.0
Feeding: Feed just before lights out as this species is mainly nocturnal. Check its’ condition often, especially after 1st obtaining one, too make sure it is eating and getting enough food. Live brine shrimp will often successfully tempt a shy or slow eater to eat. They are not an algae eater, and are a poor choice if an algae eater is required. A mixed diet of flakes, sinking pellets, wafers, frozen and live foods should be fed.
Sexing: Sexing is not very tricky because the male fish develops small odontodes on the leading pectoral fin rays and the back half of his body. The odontodes look almost like tiny teeth. The male is also slimmer than the female, especially behind his pectoral fins.
Breeding: The Candy striped pleco has been bred in aquariums. They are cave spawners. The male guards the eggs which are light yellow and roughly 2-3 mm in size. The eggs normally hatch within a week and after another week the yolk sac will usually have been consumed. You can feed the fry newly hatched baby brine shrimp (BBS).
Additional Information: Candy Stripes are a shy, peaceful pleco that prefers acidic to neutral water.
- King Tiger Pleco – Hypancistrus Species, L066
- Tiger Peckoltia – Panaque sp L002
- Leopard Frog Pleco – Peckoltia Compta, L134
- Green Phantom Pleco – Hemiancistrus Subviridis, L200
- Royal Pleco – Panaque Nigrolineatus, L190
- Snowball Pleco – Hypancistrus Inspector, L102, L142, L033
- Sunshine Pleco – Scobinancistrus Aureatus, L014
- Leopard Pleco – Glyptoperichthys Gibbiceps, L083, L165
- Peppermint Plec – Parancistrus Nudiventris, L031, L176, L300
- Gold Nugget Pleco – Baryancistrus, L018, L081, L085, L177