Common name: Afra
Scientific name: Cynotilapia Afra, Paratilapia Afra, Hemichromis Afer
Average Adult Fish Size: 10cm / 4 Inches
Place of Origin: Lake Malawi
Typical Tank setup: Rocky Malawi tank.
Recommended Minimum Aquarium Capacity: 160 Litres
Compatibility: Other Mbuna cichlids
Temperature: 23-28 Deg C / 73-82 Deg F
Water chemistry: pH 7.6-8.6
Feeding: Omnivorous – feed vegetable based flake foods as a staple. Diet should be supplimented with brine shrimp and fresh green vegetables such as spinach, zucchini, romaine lettuce, spinach and peas.
Sexing: Makes are brighter blue with black bars on body. Males tend to have more pronounced and brighter egg spots.
Breeding: Keep a ratio of one male to three females. Many caves made from rocks are needed. The female is a mouth-brooder and cares for the young. The female should be moved to a birthing tank after she is holding eggs.
Additional Information: Many caves and hiding places among rocks and pieces of slate are essential. The aquarium should be broken up into specific territories if more than one male is to be kept. Fine gravel or sand is required as the Afra will dig. Hard water with a high pH is essential.
- Malawi Eye Biter – Dimidiochromis Compressiceps
- Blue Peacock – Aulonocara Hansbaenschi
- Chilumba Peacock – Aulonocara Stuartgranti sp. Chilumba
- Firemouth – Thorichthys Meeki
- Paraguay Eartheater – Gymnogeophagus Balzanii
- Blue Mbuna – Labeotropheus Fuelleborni
- Livingstonii – Nimbochromis Livingstonii
- Elongatus Ornatus – Pseudotropheus Elongatus Ornatus
- Chisawasawa – Tramitichromis Intermedius
- Chocolate Gourami – Sphaerichthys Osphormenoides